And on the 7th Day…

On the 2nd day after surgery (Thur)…The relentless energy that didn’t like me lying there resulted in my sitting in a chair for about 20 minutes. I was grateful. I am not a nervous or anxious person by nature, in fact I would think I’d love an excuse to sit and relax for weeks, but it is amazing how the human body is made to move and pushes so earnestly to do so. The confinement of this surgery is the hardest part.

On the 3rd day (Fri)…my comfort level and resulting attention span allowed me to read for about 5-10 minutes at a time. I was able to go to the restroom, so my catheter was removed. A great milestone, and a place to expend some of that energy that gnawed at me. However, all the fluids given meant I had to do this every. single. hour. Thus:

On the 4th day (Sat)…My muscles rebelled at working in such awkward positions without relief. This made me ever so cranky. Now it is amazing to witness how precisely the body was made to function. It doesn’t like being forced into a living illustration of the whole “Evolution of man into Walking Animal” bit. Our parts are made to work in very specific ways together, that much is clear. Make even slight adjustments to one and the others will snarl in a chorus line as they are forced to compensate.

On the 5th day…I was calmer and more comfortable, reading for hours at a stretch. Again, what a difference 48 hours makes.

On the 6th day (Mon)…I was allowed to rest at home.

On the 7th day…Cricks plagued my back in addition to my still cranky muscles. (Again, I think how the parts don’t like any kinks in the movement system.) I discovered that a hot water bottle is man’s 2nd greatest invention ever (you’ll never replace my no.1 choice of: The Shower). Incidentally, I also decide upon the worst invention of man: the sticky on medical coverings. A year and a half of taping things on and pulling them off only to retape a fresh one has left me bitter at the entire medical-use glue industry. Take that, entire medical-use glue industry!

Today my boyfriend also cooks me my first full meal ever from him (I think). Well done, sweetie.

On the 8th day (Wed)…The cricks were chased out of town and the muscles were quieter. Evidently sensing a power vacuum in bodily complaints, the sensation began returning to my skin. That’s a good sign, though mere aspirin doesn’t do much for this. Still, I keep taking it in hope. On the whole, discomfort is not terribly intense (I’d say a 5 on the 1-10 scale), it’s simply chronic. My dear bf cooks me dinner #2, again to great success and for a visitor to boot.

And today, no.9, the sensations continue to return. I can feel a slight…weight?…sting?…along all the incisions. Now I have a few specific points along the waistline incision that pull insistently when I try to walk as straight as possible. They are, quite frankly, pissing me off. They are also, however, creeping me out a little bit. I am 100% confident that the sensations are normal. However, if I didn’t know the wounds that were there, I would shake them off without much thought. But points of pain along such wounds is more distracting. It reminds you that you are in major healing from major wounds. When everything’s numb, you can pretend that is because the area isn’t that traumatized. Of course, Vicodin or something along the lines of what you can’t get over-the-counter for pain would be just peachy right now. I’m even getting the feeling of my T-shirt tickling the skin where it brushes over it. Talk about driving me crazy. But talk about a great sign.

It has always been my wish that hospitals would just knock us out for a month, so we can wake up feeling better. I still wish they could, but now I’ve seen how the body wouldn’t like that. S0, 9 days down and we’ll see how many more to go. I’m sure the day will be here soon enough when I can say “day x: slept in my own bed”. Seeing as “bed” is no.3 on man’s-greatest inventions list, that will be my mental “7th day”.



Filed under life, reconstruction ("upgrade"!), recovery, surgery, this time THIS year

2 responses to “And on the 7th Day…

  1. Sarah,
    So glad to know Del is taking such wonderful care of you. How is your drain situation? Did they take them all out before you came home? All my pulling down low was from my drains. Please tell me your doctor gave you that belly wrap and it wasn’t that I happened to find the only plastic surgeon specializing in the torture arts…

    Well I’m off to eat, unfortunately, a meal I had to cook for myself. Del wouldn’t be available for loan would he?

  2. Joc

    Hi Sarah,

    New reader here, I have just finished reading this blog from start to finish. I think you are an amazing and positive woman.

    My aunt died from metastised breast cancer nearly thirty years ago, and both my Grandmother (maternal) and her sister were treated for breast cancer late in life (both were in their 70’s), so I have always thought that at some stage in my life I would be staring down the barrel of a BC diagnosis. So far I have made it 40 years without that situation.

    Blogs like yours and many others have helped me deal with my fears, and see that there are so many positive ways of dealing with a life threatening illness is such a life afirming way.

    I will continue to follow your journey, and wish you all the very best in overcoming this disease and living a long, happy and fulfulling life.

    Well done and good luck!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s